Today in Johnson City History: December 2 | Life
2 December 1840: The Whig reported on activities at Washington College. “The Washington College Board of Directors is taking the first opportunity to inform friends of this institution and the public that it will be open for student reception on the first Monday in November. It is important that those entering the College apply for admission at the start of the term.
Washington College is a community in rural Washington County and is approximately 18 miles from Johnson City. In 1840, Washington College referred to both the educational institution there and the surrounding community.
The Whig was a newspaper published in Jonesborough, which was spelled in 1840.
2 December 1875: The Herald and Tribune reported: “Colonel. TH Reeves returned from St. Louis last Saturday night. He brings back a pleasant moment at the railway convention (sic).
The Herald and Tribune was, and still is, a Jonesborough newspaper, spelled as this in 1875.
2 December 1896: One hundred and twenty-five years ago today, the Herald and Tribune reported: “Will Smith gave his young friends a very good party last Friday night. Oysters of all styles were served as refreshments.
As noted above, The Herald and Tribune is a Jonesboro newspaper, which was written in 1896.
2 December 1921: A century ago today, the Kingsport Times reported: “The last soccer game of the season will be played at the local baseball park tomorrow afternoon at 3pm when the Kingsport High School Grill Warriors (sic) face the Johnson eleven. City high school (sic). These two teams have met twice before and each time the Johnson City guys have come out on top with the scores 14-0 and 21-7. Although beaten twice, the former KHS Warriors are confident that the fate will be overcome and they will come with the big end of the score tomorrow afternoon.
The Kingsport Times is now published as the Kingsport Times News. We do not have access to any newspaper published in Johnson City in 1921.
2 December 1934: Readers of the Johnson City Staff-News have learned that the newspaper is celebrating its “twenty-fifth anniversary” as a daily. For fifteen years before starting daily publication, the newspaper was a weekly periodical. Prior to being known as Johnson City Staff-News¸ the newspaper was called Johnson City Staff when JT Browning founded it. Mr Browning had recently noted, “that his policy of ‘never accepting advertising for whiskey’ was followed to the letter by those who succeeded him as publisher. “
The article provided much more information of interest to the readers. “The Staff was founded as a weekly in 1892, succeeding the old ‘Advance’, which was abandoned when its publisher, the Hon. Alf A. Taylor, has appointed its editor-in-chief to a government post. Browning rented the equipment and began publishing the Staff, the first edition of which appeared on May 5, 1892. The factory was located on Market Street (sic) in a building facing Main Street. He occupied the second story quarters just east of the southern railroad tracks.
The story continues, “In 1897 he (ie JT Browning) sold the newspaper to John W. Bell, who operated it, first as a weekly, then bi-weekly, until around 1900. Bell sold it to veteran journalist Munsey Slack, who converted it to a daily in 1909. Browning eventually had around 800 subscribers at a time when Johnson City’s population was around 3,000.
In addition, we learn, “In 1924, barely ten years ago, the staff absorbed the Johnson City News, becoming the Johnson City Staff-News, as it is now called, and consolidating the circulation and advertising accounts, each increasing to one. high total… ”
In 1934, the newspaper employed more than 40 people, in two shifts. The 40 employees did not include the news carriers, which carried it to many of the 30,000 daily readers.
2 December 1969: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle reported news regarding the culmination of Johnson City’s centennial celebrations. Johnson City turned 100 on December 1. “George W. Kelly, President of the Johnson City Kiwanis Club, chaired the dedication program, which was sponsored by the Kiwanis Club. “
The article continued to say that Dr. Ralph Sims, Minister of the First Christian Church, gave the keynote address. He said: “’We all have a responsibility to do what we can to learn from the past, not only from successes but also from failures. … What place will we gain for ourselves in the future? “
Dr Sims went on to challenge “Johnson Citiians to move the city forward in the future, remembering that the power that guides them is greater than obstacles.” He stressed the importance of education, economic development and religious heritage to earn the right “to be remembered and regarded with pride”.
More details centered on the centenary crypt. Dan Wexler, Jr., President of Johnson City Centennial Inc., presented the Centennial Crypt, donated to the community by Bolton Concrete Products Co. The time capsule will be open in 50 years when Johnson City celebrates its 150th anniversary. “
Additionally, “Mayor Charles Gordon presented municipal papers and papers… ..and a letter to the Mayor of the Year 2019.”
In addition, “Floyd Dooley, Past Past President of the Chamber of Commerce, placed in the crypt the following business material: a descriptive record of Johnson City… the Chamber of Commerce newsletter… a brief history of Johnson City by James D Estepp… and city maps.
“Following the ceremony in the high school auditorium, the historic landmark was unveiled at the entrance to the school. through by (sic) LW McCown, Secretary-Treasurer with 47 years of service with Kiwanis. Mr. McCown’s wife, Mary Hardin McCown, was a member of the Tennessee Historical Commission and was widely regarded as an expert on local history.
The article continued, “Kiwanis founding members Leslie R. Driver, WB Miller, W. Lewis Smith and Dan B. Wexler buried the Centennial Time Capsule using golden shovels. … Other Johnson Citians present at the ceremony participated by throwing a shovel full of soil.
December 2, 1971: Fifty years ago today, the Johnson City Press-Chronicle reported: “The Junior Service League held its monthly meeting on November 22 at Elks Lodge and voted a donation to the Public Welfare Department for the care of children in host family in Washington County. They also voted a donation in memory of Hanes Lancaster Sr., to the Kidney Machine Fund at Memorial Hospital. Members volunteered to help the Salvation Army board of directors at the mall on November 29 and dress up dolls for the Christmas campaign.
“The museum’s arts committee hosted the reception during the concert presented at the museum on November 14.”
“The league’s annual December Tiara Ball has been postponed due to ongoing repairs at the country club.”
December 2, 1978: In the scores above the header, Johnson City Press-Chronicle readers learned how the local basketball teams fared the night before. Science Hill beat Unicoi County, 61-39. Daniel Boone beat Sullivan West by a score of 71-57. University High beat Church Hill, 65-40. Tennessee High defeated Elizabethton by a score of 56 to 31. Hampton defeated Happy Valley, 59 to 47. Johnson County defeated Unaka by a score of 75 to 55.